Monday, October 3, 2011

Playstation 3 vs. Xbox 360

Let me begin with this bit of insight, I am in fact one of the nerdiest 18 year old girls you will ever have the misfortune to know. With that, I do rather enjoy my videogames. I have been told time and time again that I chose the wrong system and therefore I would at this time like to once and for all justify my choice. I'll go ahead and start by making a case for each system, however although I can see pros and cons for each system, I do still stand firm on my personal preference.
I can think of two reasons to buy an xbox: Fable, and online gaming. Fable is possibly one of the greatest RPGs out there (slow down there, I said ONE OF the greatest, everyone knows that the Elder Scrolls trumps) and it is so ridiculously owned by microsoft and will therefore never reach the ps3 unless the small company who microsoft owns either (a) chooses to lave microsoft or (b) is bought out by sony. I quite honestly don't see either of those happening as they are getting payed way too much to walk away (that would really just be completely ignorant) and I think Sony has other things to concern itself with (like recoding their systems so the entirety of playstation network users don't temporarily lose their identity again...we will get to that later though). ANYWAY back to Fable. While that was definatly a reason that xbox got props through the second installment of Fable...rd one was weak and gets litterally no props from me. I was thouroughly dissappointed. Especially in the lack of legitimate story after (spoiler alert) becoming king. It's really no longer much of a plus for xbox on that sour note. However as I have already mentioned once or twice, xbox does also have the advantage od of good online gameplay. No it may not be free like the playstation network, but in this case you certainly do get what you pay for. The online content for xbox is excellent and packed with awesome features and loads of competitors. In addition to that almost every shooter style game released for the 360 (along with some others outside of the genre such as Assassins Creed: Brotherhood) olidonline content and the chance to compete with friends and strangers alike. And in addition to that, whether a game has additional online content or not they allow you to compare your stats and skills and acheivements in game with that of your friends allowing you to make all your fellow nerds who spend equal to less time sitting alone in the basement beating trolls with enchanted warhammers in a digital world feel inferior to you! It's really quite wonderful actually. Not that the playstation network is completly useless but it simply isn't as good as xbox lives online content. And to conclude the advantage of online that xbox has over playstation there is that pesky problem that sony dealt with and microsoft never will called hackers. here is the simple version of why that is: Playstations coding for thier online content is too simple. Microsoft uses the same coding system for the xbox that they do on their computers. Every hour there is a slight change somewhere in the numbers so if you do by chance crack the code and hack in, when that hour is up and the codes change you will be rendered helpless and kicked out upon your next attempt at making any change or movement whatsoever. However the chance of you getting to make any change or movement in the first place is slim. How I should have started that was that if you break the code and still have a moment of time left, you will them be stopped with a firewall about as thick as the Great Wall of China is long, and then you still only have the remainder of the hour to get through that. So a definate thumbs up to xbox for that.
Now while  Playstation may not have the online gaming as well mastered ad xbox, the playstation advantage is simply this: graphics. The other advantage is simply the xbox can get a red ring of death and burn out while a playstation will do no such thing, however the latest model of xbox claims to have solved this problem. BACK TO GRAPHICS!! I don't have a lot to say for xbox because while the advantage is within the coding therefore I could tell u just as much as I did about the online coding issue, however it is a bit harder to understand so I won't bore you with the details. The point is playstation simlply looks nicer. Now I know to some that isn't such a big deal, but When playing the beauty that is Oblivion on a ps3 and on an xbox you undoubtedly get more of the effect on a ps3. In addition to that, with the excellence of the smooth graphics, it has more layering to the coding system and is able to carry more complex material. God of War. Great game right? Only for ps3. Is it cause they are owned by Sony? No. They aren't actually. They only release God of War on ps3 because to put it on xbox would mean downscalling the entire game in order to make it playable on the less layered graphic system that is xbox. And by the way if you haven't played the latest God of War game I highly reccomend it. It's excelent, plus (spoiler alert) the punch that you get to blow to Zues's face at the end has been called one of the most satisfying punches in video game history.
Now personally, I play RPG's. I don;t care all too much for shooters, and I'm not that good at them, My favorites are Elder Scrolls, God of War, Prince of Persia, and Assassin's Creed. So simply because if I had an xbox I would have very little reason to buy live, I went with graphics and am a proud ps3 player through and through. If you like xbox well then...you're simply wrong :)

No comments:

Post a Comment